That article from Sojourners that I just linked (x) has another great line: “It is not the cashier’s job to share the church’s story of God coming to the world.”
That really hit me, and I think it has a lot to do with the false notion of the war on Christmas, the idea that secular commercial culture somehow owes it to Christians to promote Christian ideas.
It’s not the cashier’s job to share the story of Christmas, the good news of the incarnation. Christians cannot be consumers of the good news. We are supposed to be proclaimers, evangelists. It’s our job to tell the story of Christmas.
When we as Christians treat our religion as just another consumer product, then we are completely missing the point. We don’t get to consume Christianity by listening to praise songs on the radio, by seeing Christmas trees in the mall and hearing people say “Merry Christmas” at every turn. We don’t get to consume Christianity by going to the “church store” and depositing our money in the offering plate in return for scripture, sermon, forgiveness, and blessing.
Christianity is not just one more product to be consumed. As Christians, the burden is on us to share the good news, to be the body of Christ, to live out the command to love our neighbors as ourselves. That’s not something you can put in a shopping cart or pick up at the mall. That’s a job, a way of life, a mission. Nobody can do it for you.
So stop expecting other people to wish you “Merry Christmas,” and start asking yourself, “How am I living out the reality of the birth of the Son of God?”
- queerical reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- intoxicatingimmediacy reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- ugly-toes likes this
- tumblingtheology likes this
- potentiallydead likes this
- kirktheberk reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- almostquitecertain likes this
- frickmyhotbuns likes this
- youbestnotmiss reblogged this from tumblingtheology and added:
- battlewiththeheart likes this
- candleofthought likes this
- youmakenosense likes this
- fluffyfoxes likes this
- dancing-painted-bears reblogged this from dippingstickssunshine
- duane-barry likes this
- dippingstickssunshine reblogged this from tumblingtheology
- tumblingtheology posted this